IMP NATIONAL WEEKEND 1996
Bentley Wildfowl and Motor Museum
Sussex Area Centre
Something for everyone!
The venue for Imp National 1996 was Bentley Wildfowl & Motor Museum at Halland. Bentley nestles at the foot of the Downs deep in the heart of the Sussex countryside and is only 10 miles from the sea. The Club had exclusive use of a large site alongside Bentley with its unique bird collection, motor museum, children’s play area and miniature steam railway. Discount entry to the Bentley attractions was included in the entry price for attendees.
- The usual trade stands. regalia and auto jumble were available.
- An innovation for 1996 was a ‘Suitcase Stall’ for those with only a few items to re-home.
- Catering was provided by Kim’s Catering who provided quality home-cooked food using local produce, and included vegetarian options with a barbecue on the Saturday.
Interesting Fact : Imp 1996 took place during the BSE scare and the decision was taken to hold a ‘beef free’ event.
- The ‘Tug-An-Imp’ inter-area centre competition replaced the previous years’ ‘Tug-o-War’ rivalry.
- There was an on-site Autotest comprising ‘thrashing around the cones’, a blindfold driving test and a skill event.
- Saturday runs to Brighton, Hastings and the Cuckmere Valley.
- Raffle & Quiz.
- Barn dance.
- The usual Sunday ‘Show-n-Shine’.
Photos of Some of the Sunday Concours Class Winners
The winners in each class were decided by those attending Imp 1996. Each of the winners was eligible to be judged for the Rosemary Smith Perpetual trophy. Rosemary chose Anne’s Chrysler Imp as her 1996 favourite.
Congratulations to all the winners and well done to all those who organised the 1996 National!
Many thanks to those members who have provided photos and information about this and other Nationals – without you these pages would not exist.