Celebrating the 50th birthday of the Hillman Imp 1963-2013
The Hillman Imp celebrated its 50th Birthday in 2013 having been launched for UK sales on 3rd May 1963 – the day after the new Linwood plant at Paisley, Glasgow was opened by the Duke of Edinburgh. To celebrate this special birthday the Imp Club held a number of special events across the UK throughout the year.
The Main Events
Friday 19th – Sunday 21st April
Loch Ken, Dumfries and Galloway
You can read a full report about Imp Ecosse in the June 2013 copy of Impressions Magazine
Thursday 2nd May
St James Business Park, Linwood, Paisley
Civic reception and unveiling of ARCC commemorative plaque
This was a superbly organised event. The unveiling of the permanent plaque at St James Business Park made this a very memorable occasion. Excellent news items on local TV and good press coverage. At the conclusion of the Linwood celebrations a convoy of Imps set off to Coventry for the celebrations there. Read a full report in June Impressions
Friday 3rd – Monday 6th May
Broad Street Rugby Club, Binley Woods, Coventry
Programme of Events
- Friday afternoon at Coventry Transport Museum – Arrival of Imp convoy from Scotland, display of cars in Millennium Place and exhibition and presentation in the Museum’s Starley Suite, this will feature various Imp related artefacts and audio visual presentations of the Imp’s history. The Friday afternoon event is primarily for club members and invited guests including Rootes apprentices.
- Saturday at Coventry Transport Museum – Display of cars in Millennium Place and the Starley suite will be open to all museum visitors with club members on hand to discuss individual memories of the Imp.
- Sunday at Gaydon Heritage Centre including scenic run via Small Fry
- Monday at Midland Air Museum, Coventry Airport
Monday 6th May – Arrival of JoLon Imp
What a weekend!
What a club!
To have all this after Linwood was amazing and then the JoLon Imp arrived.
The whole weekend was superb and many thanks to everyone involved.
Many people were involved in the organization of this event but particular thanks go to Paul for looking after bookings and rally control. More thanks are due to our Events Secretary for the hard work and organization put in to making the Friday afternoon event happen. It was brilliant!
And finally thanks to our Chairman for masterminding the whole weekend.
June Impressions has a full report – don’t miss it! This was a superbly organised event. The unveiling of the permanent plaque at St James Business Park made this a very memorable occasion. Excellent news items on local TV and good press coverage. At the conclusion of the Linwood celebrations a convoy of Imps set off to Coventry for the celebrations there. Read a full report in June Impressions
Beaulieu Spring Autojumble
Friday 17th – Sunday 19th May
National Motor Museum, Beaulieu, Hampshire
The aim was to have 50 Imps in attendance at this event and we are pleased to report that members turned out en masse to successfully achieve this. See [email protected] report in July Impressions. Also take a look at our Forum where there are quite a few posts. It looks like a good time was had by all.
Perth National – Imp 50
Thursday 1st-Monday 5th August
Perth Racecourse, Scone, Perth
The Main Events
- Thursday 1st – Knockhill Track Night
- Friday 2nd – Little Impers Kids Club – Convoy to Fife Animal Park – Gymkhana – Evening Entertainment Imps at Glenalmond
- Saturday 3rd – Little Impers Kids Club – Convoy to Glenalmond House & The Famous Grouse Experience – Gymkhana – Ceilidh & Fancy Dress evening
- Sunday 4th – Little Impers Kids Club – Show ‘n’ Shine – Family Treasure Hunt – Urban Circus – Owl Magic – Awards Presentation Ceremony – Evening forum with Bill Rootes, Andrew Cowan & Rosemary Smith
- Monday 5th – Time to go home!
- BRILLIANT !!!!!!
After the Linwood and Coventry celebrations in May, Imp 50 Perth had a very hard act to follow but it did not disappoint, living up to the expectations of all great Nationals.
Great organisation! Great people! Great cars!
Whatever your age or particular interest it seems that everyone was catered for – Kids Club, Knockhill Track Night, Convoys. Evening entertainment and more …
there was the traditional Show ‘n’ Shine on the Sunday…
there was good food and a bar…
Sunday was rounded off with a Forum featuring Bill Rootes, Andrew Cowan & Rosemary Smith…
even the weather was kind to us.
To celebrate this IMPortant year the Scottish organising team pulled out all the stops – our thanks go to all of you.
For full reports and details of the awards see October Impressions.
After his epic trip across Siberia David Pilbeam & his Imp arrived safely at Perth
And finally :
After Coventry enjoyed the arrival of the JoLon Imp, Perth was able to celebrate David Pilbeam’s IMPressive solo trip across Siberia.
Wicked Welsh Weekend
Thursday 26th – Sunday 29th September
The Rising Sun, Pandy, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
Wicked Welsh was the last of the big outdoor events of Imp 50 year. 31 Imps and Imp variants made it to Pandy and enjoyed good weather and good company.
Many of those who attended reported back that for them this was the best event of the whole year.
Look out for a full report in one of the forthcoming editions of Impressions.
- Thursday 26th – Arrivals day and informal evening get-together
- Friday 27th – Run out to Newport Transporter Bridge
- Saturday 28th – Main run of the weekend covering about 140 miles, stopping off at the Llandovery Sheep Festival and enjoying a scenic drive through the Brecon Beacons. The usual Quiz and Raffle in the evening
- Sunday 29th – ‘Show ‘n’ Shine’ in the morning followed by a final run out of for those able to delay their journey home!
Classic Motor Show
Friday 15th – Sunday 17th November
The NEC, Birmingham
Besides these main events there were numerous local celebrations