Celebrating the 50th birthday of the Hillman Imp 1963-2013
The Hillman Imp celebrated its 50th Birthday in 2013 having been launched for UK sales on 3rd May 1963 – the day after the new Linwood plant at Paisley, Glasgow was opened by the Duke of Edinburgh. To celebrate this special birthday the Imp Club held a number of special events across the UK throughout the year.
The Main Events
Friday 19th – Sunday 21st April
Loch Ken, Dumfries and Galloway
Thursday 2nd May
St James Business Park, Linwood, Paisley
Civic reception and unveiling of ARCC commemorative plaque
Friday 3rd – Monday 6th May
Broad Street Rugby Club, Binley Woods, Coventry
Programme of Events
- Friday afternoon at Coventry Transport Museum – Arrival of Imp convoy from Scotland, display of cars in Millennium Place and exhibition and presentation in the Museum’s Starley Suite, this will feature various Imp related artefacts and audio visual presentations of the Imp’s history. The Friday afternoon event is primarily for club members and invited guests including Rootes apprentices.
- Saturday at Coventry Transport Museum – Display of cars in Millennium Place and the Starley suite will be open to all museum visitors with club members on hand to discuss individual memories of the Imp.
- Sunday at Gaydon Heritage Centre including scenic run via Small Fry
- Monday at Midland Air Museum, Coventry Airport
Monday 6th May – Arrival of JoLon Imp
Beaulieu Spring Autojumble
Friday 17th – Sunday 19th May
National Motor Museum, Beaulieu, Hampshire
Perth National – Imp 50
Thursday 1st-Monday 5th August
Perth Racecourse, Scone, Perth
The Main Events
- Thursday 1st – Knockhill Track Night
- Friday 2nd – Little Impers Kids Club – Convoy to Fife Animal Park – Gymkhana – Evening Entertainment
- Saturday 3rd – Little Impers Kids Club – Convoy to Glenalmond House & The Famous Grouse Experience – Gymkhana – Ceilidh & Fancy Dress evening
- Sunday 4th – Little Impers Kids Club – Show ‘n’ Shine – Family Treasure Hunt – Urban Circus – Owl Magic – Awards Presentation Ceremony – Evening forum with Bill Rootes, Andrew Cowan & Rosemary Smith
- Monday 5th – Time to go home!
After his epic trip across Siberia David Pilbeam & his Imp arrived safely at Perth
Wicked Welsh Weekend
Thursday 26th – Sunday 29th September
The Rising Sun, Pandy, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
- Thursday 26th – Arrivals day and informal evening get-together
- Friday 27th – Run out to Newport Transporter Bridge
Saturday 28th – Main run of the weekend covering about 140 miles, stopping off at the Llandovery Sheep Festival and enjoying a scenic drive through the Brecon Beacons.
The usual Quiz and Raffle in the evening
- Sunday 29th – ‘Show ‘n’ Shine’ in the morning followed by a final run out of for those able to delay their journey home!
Classic Motor Show
Friday 15th – Sunday 17th November
The NEC, Birmingham
Besides these main events there were numerous local celebrations