A Californian drying out in South Africa

The Nun
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Imp

Re: A Californian drying out in South Africa

Post by The Nun »

There are, or were, 1966 D registered Californians around.
MOTOR magazine road tested one September 66
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
African Imp
Car Model: Hillman Californian, built 3rd February 1967

Post by African Imp »

The Nun wrote: ↑Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:17 pm There are, or were, 1966 D registered Californians around.
MOTOR magazine road tested one September 66

It would be nice to read that, i expect someone will post it soon, will it be in Impressions ? :D
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Yesterday we had reason to go to the road traffic license office in Wynberg to get a new disc for our VW Polo TSi, I took the chance to prepare a document to ask for a print out on what was my Sunbeam Stiletto, I sold it to Paul Toovey a friend of mine as I was buying one owner Rover PS Sport, the P6 and with the V8 motor in it.

Asking the guy behind the counter, he could find only two cars on record with my name, the VW TSi and the Hillman Californian, he did find the CA211596 license number as well but its now on another car, an Opal Kadett, a sad moment for me but after forty seven years hardly unexpected :( :( :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

Must be scrapped then.🀫
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

The Nun wrote: ↑Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:20 am Must be scrapped then.🀫
Yes, that I knew as Paul the friend that I sold it to was in the Stags Head Pub one evening in Hope Street, Cape Town, the Stiletto was parked outside in the street.

A truck lost control and side swiped the Imp and it was written off.

This I heard some years later, as when it happened I was on a sail boat and on my way to Brasil, circa 1977.

So I never saw that car again and by the time that I had returned to Cape Town Paul had moved to Durban and I never saw him again either!

My hope was that the license folk would have a record of the license and with my name and pauls on it too, not possible :(
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Looking back I find this picture dated 2nd December 2018, seems that I still had a lot to do still ?

That engine has the cars original block, crank and pistons, there is a sport 180 series cylinder head fitted.

later I removed the engine and fitted a re built Singer Chamois Sport engine with the 107 series cylinder head and a new set of Hepolite Powermax 0.060" pistons.

The original engine is now in storage. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

A restoration of a different kind?

Still Imp related, a ball point pen which Malcolm sent to me many years back has been in need of a new ink refill.

I have pirated one from another pen, the type with just the plastic tube and spring inside, it fitted and the pen now works!
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

Thats a relief Roy, you are now able to order some more parts from Malcolm again.πŸ˜ƒ

I always worry about my club spares biro packing up because I order a lot from Bob.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

The Nun wrote: ↑Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:22 am Thats a relief Roy, you are now able to order some more parts from Malcolm again.πŸ˜ƒ

I always worry about my club spares biro packing up because I order a lot from Bob.
Once was I would order by post, airmail of course, then came the fax ( remember them ) now its email and for some Whats App?

The pen possibly dates to the front and rear screen rubbers that Malcolm supplied me? they were well made and easy to fit :D
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

When I first started ordering spares I had to walk down to the call box at the end of the road, in the rain, then wait for the couple in there to finish their snogging before you could get in and use the germ laden phone to find the thing had been vandalised so you had to go and find another box, then when you eventually got through you'd run out of 10p's.

They say it was the good old days but in some cases I'm glad we are where we are now. πŸ˜„
Uncle Henry
Club Member: No
Car Model: MG

Post by Uncle Henry »

Ah, but think of all the exercise you got then, the immunity to disease because of the germs and the lesson in not wasting time gassing whilst learning to be frugal !

Win, win, win and win !

AH
Can't post, won't post
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

True, today we would go to the call box in the car. πŸ˜„
RoyBlunt
Car Model: 1966 Hillman Super Imp, 1981 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post by RoyBlunt »

Ah - but that would depend on what spares you were after. Hopefully the car was still running - if not, it would have been a long walk! Remember that, back in the day, you would probably have been ordering spares for the car that would have carried you down to the phone box.
Roy Imp011
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

With an Imp you got used to ordering spares well in advance you learnt the knack of what was going to pack up next and get your order in for that bit.
Although people used to say how unreliable imps are, some still do, none of mine ever got to the state I never got to where I was travelling to and get back again, they never left me stranded at the roadside.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

The Nun wrote: ↑Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:32 pm With an Imp you got used to ordering spares well in advance you learnt the knack of what was going to pack up next and get your order in for that bit.
Although people used to say how unreliable imps are, some still do, none of mine ever got to the state I never got to where I was travelling to and get back again, they never left me stranded at the roadside.

Unreliable? I looked at my list and see that I have owned ten Imps, one twice, does that make it eleven?

The very first Imp was a Mk 1 version, I owned it some three years, went across the channel and to many countries over there, it never failed excepting the carpets were wet driving along the Autobaan in really heavy rain. It did have an issue the once, the crank handle dog fell off and was held captive by the main pulley, the noise was awful, that was in Birkenhead where the car was left at a Rootes garage to inspect.

They refitted the starter dog at no charge and I collected the car the next day.

One more break down comes to mind, this was here in Hout Bay, one Stromberg float or the brass needle stuck and I flooded the engine, I needed a tow home, the engine was running by the time we got there and I drove into the garage myself.

So ten cars fifty years two break downs, I think that is reasonable?

I have a date for the pen from Malcolm Anderson, 14 / 10 / 2014 !
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

Those pens must be rarer than seeing a Stiletto now, could be a collectors item. πŸ˜€
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

The Nun wrote: ↑Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:48 am Those pens must be rarer than seeing a Stiletto now, could be a collectors item. πŸ˜€
It sure has been for me, that is why I have kept it so long!

I forgot about a breakdown in the Mk2 Imp that I had in Cape Town, Jean and I went on a Sunday drive to Cape Point, no problems, then the fan belt broke, I stopped of course, found another car parked nearby and asked the lady in it was she wearing stockings? she was, I explained my needs and she took one off, it was her kindness that got Jean and myself home!
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

Haha that's another thing from the yesterdays, im sure today if you stopped and asked a lady for her tights that wouldn't be all you got πŸ˜„
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

The Nun wrote: ↑Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:15 am Haha that's another thing from the yesterdays, im sure today if you stopped and asked a lady for her tights that wouldn't be all you got πŸ˜„
Yes, the amazing thing was that the lady did not bat an eye lid, she just said yes , I suspect that I then turned away to give her some modesty, once the stocking was fitted to my cars engine it was then time to see if the idea worked?

Myth or fantasy ? it worked and I then drove back to Cape Town, it would be about 30 miles? Imp011
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Delving into the picture files in my desktop PC I found some disc brake test images dated November 2012, the test was on a Ford Fiesta brake caliper and after I had assembled the Colin Valentine front disc brake kit.

The test went well, the discs were fitted to our 1967 Singer Chamois , they were in use for some years, being removed when the Singer was sold and then fitted to the Californian.
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

I'm sure I've seen these pictures before Roy🀫?